Tuesday, September 1, 2009

From China

It’s 5am Wednesday morning and Amelia is asleep. The last few days have been the most beautiful, wonderful moments of my life.

Let me start with Saturday Holt orientation. There are eight families in the group. I am the only one going to Anhui, the other families are going Jiangxi, Guangdong, and Shaanxi. We are all eager, excited, dazed, and ready.

Monday, “Gotcha Day”. I left Beijing on a 2 hour flight to Hefei in the morning. I arrived in Hefei at 12:30 p.m.. After checking in the hotel, I had 2 hours to doll myself up to go and meet Amelia. Strangely enough, I wanted to look pretty for her. I made it to the Civil Affairs Office. Shortly after my arrival, Amelia accompanied by the orphanage director and a nanny walked in. She was dressed in a blue plaid shirt, a pair black pants, and a pair of sneakers. She is precious. Moments later, I had a chance to speak with the director and the nanny. We could communicate without problems, even though their Mandarin is heavily accented by the local dialect. I emphasized our gratefulness for their good care – how it was obvious Amelia was loved. It was heart-breaking to see them go. Amelia was upset the first day and she asked me to take her to her foster Mom.

On Tuesday, I was interviewed by a Chinese official, and promise that I will never mistreat or abandon her. After all the paper work, Amelia is officially mine on Chinese side.

Amelia is very attached to me by Tuesday. She is an absolute chatter box. She calls me Mama. Last night, after reading a story, she held me and said: "Wo Ai Ni, Mama" (I love you Mama).

In spite of her apparent ease at joining me, she is still undergoing a tremendous transition. She's been through so many transitions: from her birth mother, to the orphanage, to foster care, and now to us. When she wakes of shrieking, I tell her, "Amelia, I am here. I will never leave you. You are safe."

No comments:

Post a Comment